Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Individualism, Chapter 8

Explaination:

According to Chapter 5, individualism is said to be the moral attitude to exercise one's goals, desires, independence and self-reliance while opposing most external interference upon one's own interests.  Either the individual is opposing the thoughts of society, family or any other group or institution.  Page 202 states that the word individualism did not enter the English vocabulary until 1835 by Alexis Tocqueville.  The word was heavily use when people gain their freedom after slavery in the United States. 
Children in the United States are taught to be independent when they were infants.  Parents having the child sleep in their own bed.  Out of the States, other cultures will frown on that.  They sleep in the same bed with their children. Other culture also chooses their child mate; not for love, but for an alliance with the other family. 

Reflection:
  After reading this section from the chapter, I agreed that individualism is a form of freedom.  Being an individual, one is able to choose what he or she likes to do as a hobby.  One is also able to exercise his or her freedom of speech.  Voice their opinion about any situation or topic out in the world.   Also feel and think about a certain topic.  I personally like the idea that paernts are teaching their children to be independent at a young age. As the parent or guardian grow old and pass away, the child will know how to take care of oneself from what he or she learned has a child.  I also feel that a child should find someone of their own to call their mate and to marry.  Being an individual, one has his or her own preference of happiness.
Application:
I apply individualism to my life, but doing what I want to do.  I make my own decisions and if I make a mistake I learn from it.  I also apply it to my life, by choosing what I like to wear.  I wear certain clothes that define me and my cultural as individuality.  I am also an outspoken individual; I utilize my freedom of speech.
 As a child, my mother did not baby me.  She taught me how to be independent.  I learned how to take care of myself when I was thirteen years old. I learned how to be a young adult at a young age.  And became a man when I had to take of the household when I was fourteen.


I am an individual.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Individualism is so essential in American culture, although, I'm unsure if I entirely agree with the individualistic approach. Being self sufficient in life is important, especially if you're the only person you can depend on. I made my school lunches from 1st grade on, as well did my laundry very early on in my life, and cooked meals, mostly canned soup and macaroni. Not that I was neglected, but I was encouraged to support myself. But on the other side, a collectivist approach, I believe is better for the elderly. I admire cultures who care for their elderly, rather than send them to a convalescent home. Everyone deserves to be cared for, and collectivist cultures seem to love their families and communities more, than a self-serving individualist, but then there's the belief that you cannot love anyone unless you love yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've learned that all cultures mix some form of indivdualism and collectivism. I think that cultures try to find their own blend of the two, with some societies leaning toward one more than the other.

    ReplyDelete